NBC News reported earlier today that Newt Gingrich, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani were attempting to stage an intervention with Trump. Shortly after, however, Gingrich told the New York Times it was a no go.
Trump campaign adviser Paul Manafort was apparently unaware of any attempted meeting of the minds, telling Fox News: “That’s the first I’m hearing of that.”
Intervention or no, even Gingrich was questioning some of Trump’s decision-making of late. “I think some of what Trump has done is very self-destructive,” Gingrich told the Washington Post. Gingrich, of course, was on the short list to be Trump’s vice presidential nominee and is expected to have a place in a Trump Administration should the businessman win in November.
All of this comes after a litany of moments that has left some Republicans with heartburn. A run down, understanding we’re likely missing a few examples:
- We just told you about a Georgia Republican, a member of the Electoral College, who said if Trump wins he might not vote for him.
- He has continued to joust with the “Gold Star” family over Khizr Kahn’s remarks at the Democratic National Convention last week, a story that just doesn’t seem to be going away.
- MSNBC host Joe Scarborough said this morning that Trump asked a foreign policy adviser why the U.S. couldn’t use nuclear weapons on its enemies. “Three times he asked at one point if we had them why can’t we use them,” Scarborough said.
- Trump refused to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan and U.S. Sen. John McCain in their primary campaigns.
- A wounded veteran gave Trump his Purple Heart that he earned after being wounded in Iraq in 2007. Trump told a rally that he responded by saying, “‘Man, that’s like big stuff. I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier.”
- Trump kicked a crying baby out of his rally.The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment on NBC’s report about the would-be intervention. But some are already wondering whether it would do any good: