Posted: 3:40 pm Sunday, June 1st, 2014
By Greg Bluestein
Democrat Jason Carter’s campaign faced a crossroads last week when the Republican Governors Association unleashed the first wave of attack ads aimed at subverting his gubernatorial bid.
The question was whether to try to counter the television blitz for a few weeks in the summer or conserve the cash for ads closer to November, when more voters tune in.
We now know the answer: Carter’s camp on Sunday said it was offering a “sneak peek” of an upcoming TV spot to people who sign up at his website. (Spoiler: The ad’s not quite ready for showtime yet.)
We’re told it will serve as more of an introduction to Carter’s policies, rather than a retaliatory swipe at his opponent, Gov. Nathan Deal.
The RGA’s ad, which targets Carter’s advocacy for an expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, was the type of barrage that Republicans hope could help Deal boost his standing in tightening polls.
Carter’s camp, for its part, said the RGA onslaught had nothing to do with the timing for its own ad, which it said has been in the works for weeks.
“While we don’t usually comment on campaign strategy, I can tell you that we don’t let Governor Deal’s D.C. money groups dictate our plans,” said campaign spokesman Bryan Thomas.